Power of Work
The Power of Work program provides benefits for job seekers who are on Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) and employers. To enroll in Power of Work, individuals must be referred to the program through the Cabinet for Health and Family Services. If you are on TANF, please ask to be referred.
Services for Job Seekers
Power of Work helps individuals on TANF who are interested in obtaining pre-employability and job-search skills needed to enter or re-enter the work force.
Power of Work graduates are:
- Capable – Assessment testing and basic skills training assures basic competencies.
- Professional – A 120-hour workforce readiness program covers spoken and unspoken rules of adapting to and succeeding in the workplace.
- Accountable – A Power of Work job developer continues to coach Power of Work employees for one year after employment, advising them on how to achieve optimal workplace performance.
The program serves residents in Jefferson, Bullitt, Henry, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble counties.
Services for Employers
Employers need employees who are trained and ready to work, and Power of Work graduates fit that bill through the Power of Work training and ongoing coaching.
In addition, employers who hire KentuckianaWorks Power of Work employees are eligible for:
- Wage reimbursement of up to 80 percent for a specified period of the Power of Work employee.
- Work Occupational Tax Credit for some hires, including
- Members of a family receiving long-term or short-term TANF.
- Food stamp recipients.
- Residents of a federally designated Empowerment Zone or Rural Renewal County
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients
In fiscal year 2011-12, the Power of Work program helped 338 TANF customers overcome barriers to finding employment and obtain jobs. Thirty-one customers enrolled in advanced training or postsecondary classes, 23 upgraded their academic skills and seven attained their GED. View successful Power of Work employees.
“Power of Work has done a great job preparing employees for the expectations of the workplace. Their candidates understand those expectations before they come through the door. When I pick up the phone and tell KentuckianaWorks Power of Work that I want 15 people for an interview, they bring me 20 with their applications already filled out. It means I don’t have to make 50 phone calls to get 10 people in here. It makes my life a whole lot easier.”
Sherrie S. Weber
Human Resource Manager
Mesa Foods Inc.
Find out more about Power of Works by calling or visiting us at one of the following:
Power of Work
332 W. Broadway, Ste. 1000
Louisville KY 40203
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Employee placement services provided by referral only
Find TARC schedule or plan your trip
KentuckianaWorks partners with Goodwill Industries of Kentucky to make the Power of Work program available. Customers are referred to Power of Work through the Cabinet for Health and Family Services.